While MRI and CT scans provide anatomic imaging of the physical structure of the body, and a PET scan provides a metabolic imaging that detects abnormalities in cell tissues based on cellular metabolism, an integrated PET/CT scan produces a combined image of the organs metabolism AND structure, allowing us to better understand the changes in the body.
1. No strenuous exercise for 48 hours.
1. DO NOT eat or drink, (except plain water) 6 hours before the scan. (Fasting)
2. You may continue with your regular medications, except diabetic medicine.
3. If you have DIABETES, additional preparatory instructions are required. We will need to manage your blood sugar level properly. Please expect your stay at AsiaMedic to be longer than other PET patients. If your blood sugar level is too high, the scan may be postponed till it is better controlled. Please bring along your diabetic medication.
4. Please plan to arrive at the centre 30 minutes before your appointment time.
5. Remember to bring along any previous X-rays, CT, MRI or scans (including any CD) that you have taken.
Please inform us if you have/are:
PET can effectively pinpoint the source of many of the most common cancers and give physicians important early information about heart and neurological diseases, eliminating the need for redundant tests and diagnostic surgical procedures.
Patients typically do not experience any reactions as a result of the PET/CT scan because the tracer material is processed by the body naturally. Therefore, no side effects are expected.
I am utterly grateful for AsiaMedic for being being able to slot a next day PET scan appointment as I am very worried for my mum. – Stella